Written by Lotus on Thursday, 21 of July , 2011 at 11:02 pm
Have you ever read the Missed Connections on Craig’s List and wondered if people really do find one another? Well, this list is my version of that — missed opportunities to indulge in tasty food.
– A few weeks ago I used a Groupon for Arrowine, a great cheese shop in Arlington, VA. My $30.00 was quickly spent on a few cheeses, apricots and wafer crackers. The minute I paid for everything I turned around and saw the freezer case for Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream. Staring right at me was the Pistachio and Honey. I love pistachio ice cream and gelato, but sometimes there’s not enough sweetness. The addition of honey sounded like a great combination. I didn’t want to do another transaction, so I left. Now that I’ve checked them out online, I also see they have a flavor called Bourbon Buttered Pecan. Sigh…
– I’m obsessed with food trucks. I watch the Cooking Channel show about them. I follow them on Twitter. I check Washingtonian Magazine’s daily list of locations. But, guess what? I’ve never had food truck food. One of my favorites to follow is the Red Hook Lobster Truck. I’ve heard and read that they do fantastic lobster rolls. One day I was meeting a friend for lunch in downtown D.C. I don’t even remember where we ate, just that I had a very mediocre tuna salad. As I was walking back to my car I saw the Red Hook Lobster Truck WITH NO LINE. (For those outside of D.C., this truck, apparently, always has a line.) I didn’t have any cash on me. I thought about finding an ATM, but then remembered, “Oh yeah, I just ate lunch.” I relunctantly kept walking. I later found out that many food trucks, including Red Hook, take credit cards. Red Hook Lobster Truck has become my great, white whale. Hopefully, we’ll meet again soon.
– A little over two years ago I cut pasta, rice and bread out of my diet, as well as cut down on portion size in general. It’s paid off and I haven’t made any exceptions. Naturally, the gourmet burger has taken D.C. by storm and I’m left wondering what the buzz is all about. Ray’s Hellburger, Good Stuff Eatery, BGR Burger Joint all seem to have outstanding burgers that I’ll never eat. Exotic condiments. Various cheeses. Bacon. Sure, I can (and have once or twice) gotten a burger without the bun, but it’s not the same. I once organized an event for Dr. Laura, talk radio host who converted to Orthodox Judaism. Someone asked her what she thought heaven would be like. She said she thinks heaven is unlimited bacon cheeseburgers. Praise Cheeses!
– At CPAC this year the Reagan Banquet celebrated President Reagan’s 100th birthday with a cake from Carlo’s Bakery of “Cake Boss” fame. Everyone said the cake was fantastic. Unfortunately, I was too busy to try a piece. Road trip to New Jersey, anyone?
– The worst thing about Trader Joe’s is that once you find a great product it seems to disappear. Frozen Mashed Potatoes (seasonal), Identity Crisis Tortilla Chips (discontinued), Salted Chocolate-covered Caramels (seasonal). I’m sure there are more, but those are the ones that come to mind.
– A few weeks ago I wrote about my trip to Fire Island. No disrespect to the great people I met (or to Betty), but the highlight of the weekend was the watermelon gazpacho. It was a blended soup (my favorite), topped with crumbled feta cheese and swirls of creme fraiche and avocado cream. My regret? I didn’t finish my bowl before the next course came out. Thankfully, I got the recipe. I can’t wait to make it. I just hope it’s as good as the original!
Have you had an tmissed food connections? Feel free to share in the comments!
No comments yet.
You must be logged in to post a comment.